1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted (or more)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups flour
3 tbsp. butter or vegan butter
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. milk or almond milk
1-2 tbsp. brandy (optional)
salt, to taste
vanilla ice cream, vegan ice cream, frozen yogurt
extra toffee sauce
- Grease a 9-inch pie dish with butter or margarine.
- In a medium pot, heat milk and dates on low-medium heat until mixture comes to a gentle boil. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, until that the dates soften. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.
- Add butter and sugar to the warm date mixture. Let butter melt and then stir lightly.
- Then add flour, cinnamon, salt and pecans to the mixture. Stir only until combined, then transfer mixture into the prepared dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 25-30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick is removed cleanly.
- Remove from the oven and poke holes all over the cake using a toothpick or knife.
- Make toffee sauce about 5 minutes before the cake is done. Mix all ingredients together in a small saucepan and bring to a low simmer over medium heat. Stir frequently to avoid burning. As the sauce heats, it will become slightly thicker.
- Pour sauce over the cake and spread to the edges with a spoon, allowing it to soak into the cake. If desired, reserve some sauce to drizzle over the ice cream when dessert is plated.
- Cut into squares and serve warm cake topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, frozen yogurt or vegan ice cream, toasted pecans and extra toffee sauce.
Recipe from ohsheglows.com